Sunday, May 8, 2011

I've been thinking about goals...

CONSECRATION, COMPASSION & COLLABORATION

When the storms of life become intense, I pull back to solid ground. My solid ground is the stability and focus of intentionality I have found in creating God-honoring life goals.

My life goals are largely attitudinal and profoundly simple. I have three. They are -to bring glory to God - to honor covenant relationships - and - to impact my world. This year I decided to strengthen them for greater impact by adding focus words.

Here are my focus words along with the Scriptural support:

1) TO BRING GLORY TO GOD - Consecration
Consecration means to be devoted with deep solemnity and dedication. Long ago I decided to make it my aim to please an audience of ONE. 2 Corinthians 5:9, So whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to please Him. (ESV)

Consecration keeps bringing me back to humility before God, realizing that I must continually submit my will to Him. Each time I submit I find renewed peace and joy flooding into my soul. Why would I want to live any other way?

2) TO HONOR COVENANT RELATIONSHIPS - Compassion
Compassion means to sympathize with a desire to alleviate distress. I honor my covenant relationships by prioritizing and cherishing them. Proverbs 11:25, Whoever brings blessing will be enriched, and one who waters will himself be watered. (ESV)

Compassion drives so many of the choices I make as I spend time thinking about tangible ways to help out, lift up and and make positive deposits into the lives of those I love. I find that generosity expressed in sympathetic words and kind gestures is a huge factor in meeting needs - especially those pressing in at the moment. Why would I want to live any other way?

3) TO IMPACT MY WORLD - Collaboration
Collaboration means to work jointly especially in an intellectual endeavor. I enjoy studying how teams are built, how they work together and I contribute wholeheartedly whenever I can. Hebrews 13:16, Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God. (ESV)

My secondary spiritual gift is organization. I often remind myself that organizers feel a tremendous joy and fulfillment in seeing all the components of a project come together so that others can benefit from and enjoy the results of their efforts. Collaboration fleshes out the components so that there can be a successful outcome with blessings shared all around. Why would I want to live any other way?

These three focus words - consecration - compassion - collaboration - anchor me to hope and the perspective God planted in my heart during quiet listening times. As I fight to regain my balance during the raging of a storm, I do know that when the storm has ceased, I will be standing firmly on solid ground once again. Why would I want to live any other way?

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you many ABOUND in hope. Romans 15:13 (ESV)

No comments: