Saturday, September 8, 2007

I’ve been thinking about expectation…

Standing on Tiptoe!

One of the legacies of 2004 for me is my growing awareness of a phenomenon I call standing on tiptoe! The dictionary defines this phrase as standing on the tips of your toes out of eager expectation and then uses the phrase in a sentence for further clarification. With Christmas coming, the children were standing on tiptoe! Exactly!

How is it that this particular phenomenon is one of the many facets of wisdom I am harvesting from all the loss and upheaval? Who would have guessed this kind of anticipation would be back in my life so soon and with so much intensity?

Reading on in my dictionary I find a specific concept about standing on tiptoe that really resonates with me. It is listed under the fifth item – straining upward. Perhaps it is my belief in God and my desire to press toward Him that motivates me. Perhaps it is the idea of reaching up toward heaven because people I love are there and hope rests there in the person of Jesus Christ. The fact is that I am not only eagerly standing on tiptoe in anticipation of good things but that I am also straining upward is a demonstration of my faith in a good God.

What are the good things I am anticipating? After some contemplation here is a short list of possibilities that keep me standing on tiptoe out of sheer exhilaration for what lies ahead.


Appropriating soaring promises and solid provisions
Bearing up under pressure to find surprising joy
Casting away another anxiety that hinders from living the abundant life
Dreaming God-inspired dreams and nurturing them to reality
Enjoying the refreshment of deep fellowship with God
Facing challenges with renewed vigor and vitality
Grasping the reality of God’s protection when danger is near
Hearing and embracing God’s perfect will one more time
Initiating meaningful goals and laying the groundwork for implementation
Joyously finding the key to unlock doors of fear and doubt
Keeping to the course set for me and marveling at the scenery
Leading out in risky ventures with God’s guidance, vision and endurance
Mining the truth of the Scriptures and discovering gold everywhere
Nurturing awareness of God’s fingerprints in the lives of His children
Opening doors of exciting opportunity for faithful servants of God
Pursuing choices that honor God in difficult circumstances
Questioning the status quo and recommending remarkably creative ideas
Relinquishing old stodgy plans and attitudes and assumptions
Sensing genuine promptings of God’s Spirit and acting on them
Teaching passionately the focus, energy and influence of a personal mission
Unloading burdens of accumulated cares and useless baggage
Vanquishing spiritual foes by standing firmly on the Word of God
Waiting on God for treasures designed especially for me
Xeroxing the path intentionally of those who model maturity
Yearning for more freedom to reflect God’s personality through my life
Zigzagging through temptation to ultimate victory in Christ

###

March 2005

No comments: