Saturday, September 8, 2007

I’ve been thinking about Linda Todd…

A Tribute to Linda Todd

I will never forget the last time I saw her. She was dying of cancer and my husband and I were responding to an invitation to come by for a visit. We were directed to the bedroom where she was reclining on her bed dressed in a lovely pair of pajamas.

She made no attempt to hide her bald head. I remember that admiration leaped up in my heart for her courageous vulnerability. As I looked more closely, I noticed that her baldness actually emphasized the beautiful contours of her face. Her delicate fingernails and toenails were freshly painted.

We sat down to visit. We laughed. We prayed. She dazzled us with her peaceful femininity in the face of death. And when the time finally came for us to leave, we felt the emotional pangs of parting from someone we would never see again in this life.

I walked down the hall to the front door with mixed feelings. I was deep in thought about the sober situation but also very grateful for the unique and precious opportunities ministry provides. We said our goodbyes and walked out to our car in the driveway.

Just then the front door opened slightly to reveal Linda peering out at us. She had gotten out of bed to say one last goodbye. She had an impish grin on her face. In fact, I remember she looked positively merry! Like someone going to a party instead of someone on the brink of death. The expression on her face remains with me still.

Many months later, we found out that Linda’s estate would provide a substantial amount of money to build out a Women’s Center at Phoenix Seminary. The dream of a Women’s Center has been in many hearts for a long time. We have all been waiting patiently for God’s provision.

God in His wonderful grace directed Linda to think about perpetuating ministry long after her life on this earth ended. No wonder she was anticipating something wonderful with that impish grin. No wonder she looked like a Cheshire cat lit up from inside with the anticipation of blessing many women following after her with her generosity.

We thank God for Linda Todd. We thank God for the beauty that radiated from the inside out during her most trying hours. We thank God for the hope her overcoming faith stirs in our hearts. We thank God He accomplished His will through her life. We thank God Linda Todd finished well.

###


April 2007

No comments: